2 the large floating leaf of an aquatic plant (as the water lily)
3 a block of absorbent material saturated with ink; used to transfer ink evenly to a rubber stamp [syn: inkpad, inking pad, stamp pad]
4 a usually thin flat mass of padding
5 a platform from which rockets or space craft are launched [syn: launching pad, launchpad, launch pad, launch area]
7 the foot or fleshy cushion-like underside of the toes of an animal
1 add details to [syn: embroider, lard, embellish, aggrandize, aggrandise, blow up, dramatize, dramatise]
2 walk heavily and firmly, as when weary, or through mud; "Mules plodded in a circle around a grindstone" [syn: slog, footslog, plod, trudge, tramp]
3 line or stuff with soft material; "pad a bra" [syn: fill out]
- Rhymes with: -æd
- A flattened mass of anything soft, to sit or lie on.
- A cushion used as a saddle without a tree or frame.
- A soft, or small, cushion.
- A cushion-like thickening of the skin on the under side of the toes of animals.
- An animal's foot or paw.
- Any cushion-like part of the human body, especially the ends of the fingers.
- A stuffed guard or protection, especially one worn on the legs of horses to prevent bruising.
- A soft bag or cushion to relieve pressure, support a part, etc.
- A floating leaf of a water lily or similar plant.
- a batsman's leg pad that protects it from damage when hit by the ball
- A kind of cushion for writing upon, or for blotting, especially one formed of many flat sheets of writing paper; now especially such a block of paper sheets as used to write on.
- A panel or strip of material designed to be sensitive to pressure or touch.
- A keypad.
- A flat surface or area from which a helicopter or other aircraft may land or be launched.
- An electrical extension cord with a multi-port socket one end: "trip cord"
- The effect produced by sustained lower reed notes in a musical piece, most common in blues music.
- In the context of "US|slang}} A bed.
- A Gamepad or joypad for a computer or console
- A paper tablet
- Part of an animal paw
- A bachelor pad
- An abbreviation for maxi pad, sanitary napkin (US), or "towel" (UK)
- Launch pad, in rocketry, the platform from which an orbital vehicle is launched
- Helipad, for helicopters
- One of the transliterations of the fourth syllable in the Buddhist "six syllable mantra Om mani padme hum
- Word-processing programs such as Notepad and WordPad
- Mousepad, a pad/mat used in computing for a mouse
- Pad field, in networking, part of the ethernet frame that fills in the data field (if necessary) to ensure that it meets the minimum length (46 bytes)
- The PAD control character in the C1 control code set
- Peripheral Artery Disease, a condition which causes poor circulation in the legs
- Pipe Acquisition Disorder, in tobacco pipe smoking
- Program Associated Data, usually data sent along with a high-definition radio program
- Packet Assembler/Disassembler, an X.29 network interface to a computer terminal
- Portable Application Description, a machine-readable document format for providing product descriptions and specifications
- Paderborn Lippstadt Airport's airport code
- Payphone Antifraud Device, an electronic circuit that monitors the telephone line connected to a payphone
- Poker After Dark a late night poker television program on NBC
- Peter Allen David, a comic book writer
pad in Czech: Pád
pad in German: Pad
pad in Esperanto: Pado
pad in French: Pad
pad in Italian: PAD
pad in Japanese: パッド
pad in Polish: Pad
pad in Thai: PAD
Domesday Book, abate, abiding place, abode, account book, address, address book, adversaria, aegis, air mattress, album, allay, alleviate, ambler, ambulate, anesthetize, ankle, annual, appease, appointment calendar, appointment schedule, arch, arm guard, assuage, backstop, barrier, battologize, bedding, benumb, blankbook, blotter, bolster, boss, brattice, brim, buffer, buffer state, bulkhead, bulwark, bump, bumper, calendar, cantonment, cashbook, catalog, ceil, charge, chatter, chink, chock, circumambulate, classified catalog, click, clink, cloison, clop, clubfoot, clump, clunk, cob, collision mat, colophon, commonplace book, concavity, congest, contraceptive, convexity, copyright, court calendar, cram, crash helmet, crash pad, crawl, creep, crib, crowd, crump, cushion, dactylogram, dactylograph, dashboard, daybook, deaden, deaden the pain, dent, desk calendar, diaphragm, diary, digit, diminish, dint, diptych, dissepiment, dividing line, dividing wall, division, docket, dodger, dog, domicile, domus, drag out, draw out, dull, dull thud, dwelling, dwelling place, ease, ease matters, embellish, embossment, engagement book, exaggerate, excrescence, extend, extremity, face, face mask, feather, fender, fetlock, fill, fill out, fill to overflowing, fill up, finger guard, fingerprint, flick, flump, foment, foot, foot guard, foot it, footmark, footprint, footstep, forefoot, forepaw, fossil footprint, freight, fudge, fur, fuse, gaited horse, galloper, give an encore, give relief, go on tiptoe, go over, go through, goggles, governor, grovel, guard, guardrail, gumshoe, habitation, hand guard, handrail, hard hat, harefoot, heel, helmet, high-stepper, hoof, hoof it, ichnite, ichnolite, impress, impression, imprint, inch, inch along, indent, indentation, indention, inlay, innerspring mattress, instep, insulation, interline, interlock, interseptum, iterate, jam, jam-pack, jaywalk, jog on, journal, knee guard, knuckle guard, lade, laminated glass, lay, ledger, leg, leg it, lessen, life preserver, lifeline, lightning conductor, lightning rod, line, litter, load, lodging, lodging place, lodgment, log, logbook, loose-leaf notebook, lull, lump, magnify, mask, mat, mattress, memo book, memorandum book, memory book, midriff, midsection, mitigate, mollify, mudguard, nest, never finish, nightwalk, nose guard, notebook, numb, overcharge, overdraw, overfill, overpaint, overstate, pace, pacer, pack, padding, padnag, palladium, pallet, palliate, panel, paries, partition, party wall, pastern, pat, patent, patte, patter, paw, paw print, pawmark, pedal extremity, pedes, pedestrianize, perambulate, peripateticate, perorate, pes, petty cashbook, pied, pillow, pilot, pimple, pitapat, pitter-patter, place, place to live, plump, plunk, pocket notebook, pocketbook, police blotter, pop, poultice, pour balm into, pour oil on, practice, prancer, preventive, print, property line, prophylactic, protection, protective clothing, protective umbrella, protract, prowl, pug, pugmark, pussyfoot, racker, ram in, rap, reaffirm, reassert, recapitulate, recite, recount, reduce, rehearse, reissue, reiterate, relieve, reprint, residence, restate, resume, retail, retell, review, reword, roof, rug, run out, run over, safeguard, safety, safety glass, safety plug, safety rail, safety shoes, safety switch, safety valve, salve, satiate, saturate, say over, say over again, scrabble, scramble, scrapbook, scratch pad, screen, seal, seat, seat belt, separation, septulum, septum, shield, shin guard, shock pad, shuffle along, side-wheeler, sidle, sigil, signet, single-footer, slacken, slake, sleeping bag, slink, snake, sneak, soften, sole, soothe, speak at length, spin out, spiral notebook, splayfoot, springs, stamp, steal, steal along, step, stepper, stretch, stretch out, stride, string out, stud, stuff, stump it, stupe, subdue, sum up, summarize, sun helmet, supercharge, surfeit, table, tablet, tap, tautologize, thud, thumbmark, thumbprint, thump, tick, tinkle, tippytoe, tiptoe, toe, tootsy, top off, traipse, tread, triptych, trotter, tunk, umbrella, underbed, underbedding, ungula, vestige, wad, wainscot, walk, wall, weight, windscreen, windshield, workbook, worm, worm along, writing tablet, yearbook